At a Glance
Client: Sport Wales
Podcast: Inside Welsh Sport – #OurSquad
No. of Episodes: 3
Language: English & Welsh
Launch Date: August 2018
Sport Wales is Wales’ national organisation for the development and promotion of sport and physical activity. They encourage sporting ambitions, and promote championship standards across the country.
Sport Wales had previously worked with Bengo Media to set up the Inside Welsh Sport podcast in early 2018. In July of the same year, they came back with a brief to create three more episodes, this time focussing specifically on the issue of female participation.
The three episodes would form part of Sport Wales’ wider ‘Our Squad’ initiative for August, encouraging more women and girls to engage with exercise and sport.
- The #OurSquad series of podcasts should be available, and of interest, to as wide an audience as possible.
- The podcast should introduce the topic of sport to a reluctant audience, and draw them in.
- 3 episodes to be delivered in a mix of both English & Welsh.
- Bengo Media would need to plan, script, record, edit and publish the episodes in under four weeks.
What We Did
- Sport can feel quite intimidating for some, so we recommended a round-table format to create a relaxed and informal sound. We brought together a panel of inspirational women, who discussed how each of them got into sport; why women and girls tend to drop out of sport more; how to find the motivation to get active; and how sport can positively effect both physical and mental health.
- We recorded a completely separate Welsh language episode. For this, we switched back to the more traditional 1:1 format, arranging a chat between presenter Lowri Morgan, and Ffion Davies, who talked about her sporting journey. Ffion is a full-time English teacher who also runs the website Scoop Hockey, and plays both hockey and rugby in her spare time.
- We created branded podcast artwork for iTunes and other players, as well as associated audiograms – mini-films to help Sport Wales promote the #OurSquad episodes on social media.
- All three episodes were planned, recorded, edited and published within a 4 week period.
- Every podcast episode was transcribed in both English and Welsh.
Sport Wales PR Officer, Rachel Argyle said:
“Although I had previously attended one of Bengo Media’s podcast training sessions, this was my first time working with them to actually create content for the Inside Welsh Sport podcast.
Working with Bengo on a live brief was very straightforward; they were accommodating to the variety of schedules they needed to work around, and flexible when we needed them to be, too. I attended the recording of one of the episodes and saw how they put the speakers at ease. This really helped to get the best out of them, and give us that conversational, relaxed feeling that we wanted.
Feedback on the #OurSquad episodes has been very positive, and the experience has definitely given us an appetite to use podcasts for more of our campaigns in the future. We will certainly look to work with Bengo Media again, and would recommend them to anyone who has an idea for a podcast in mind, but needs that outside expertise to bring it to life.”
Take a listen to the #OurSquad episodes of Inside Welsh Sport here:
Listen to “Inside Welsh Sport” on Spreaker.